Evolutionary Saddles tm
Where fitting your horse and mule is our number one priority.
Evolutionary Saddles™ Offers Extraordinary Performance and outstanding quality at a fair price.
Designed for gaited and non-gaited horses and mules in all shapes and sizes!
Evolutionary saddles are built for a lifetime. They ARE NOT the plastic, rubber or Styrofoam filled, 5-7 year replacement saddle. What you purchase is total quality. Starting with the solid, three layered fiberglass wrapped, epoxy coated, duracoat finished ponderosa pine saddle tree. And is gets better from there! Read on.
So Ask yourself... Why
do I want a flexible panel system?
Let us take a close look at the dynamics of this rigid tree saddle.
When your horse turns, one side becomes shorter and the other longer. A conventional saddle cannot adapt to this movement, and this results in increased pressure at certain points.
A horse with its head lowered has a relatively straight spine. As with a horse that move down hill, more pressure is place on the front edges of a conventional saddle.
Therefore conventional saddles will always produce certain pressure points-at some time-at some point, depending on the basic shape of the saddletree. Fact.
So how can the traditional saddling industry, tree and saddle makers possibly cover all these variations? Truth is, they can't. At best, they offer only a handful of saddle tree patterns to choose from, and your horse must conform to those few choices. That is like saying that you must only select a pair of pants to wear from only 4 sizes. Really now.... So are you so sure that your horse will fit into that one tree size?
So What Is the Solution to All These Problems?
The solution is brilliant if not quite simple
A saddle in which the supporting surface is independent of the saddle tree, automatically conforms to the greatest variety of horses, is able to adapt to the horse during movement, and is large enough to distribute the weight over an area that is more than sufficient.
Thus the purpose of a saddle... To offer the rider support while distributing the riders weight over a large surface area.
The Construction and Operation of the System X panel
Shown are the panels in initial condition, with no load. Notice the huge weight bearing area.
Above right, you see a simulated representation of how the panel conforms to a horse’s bent back.
The panel ends are extremely pliable so as not to hinder the horse’s lateral movements and turns. This also prevents interference with the scapula.
With a slender horse, for example, the panel would assume this angle. Here, on one side, we simulate the angle for a wide horse. In this shape, the panel can conform to a horse with extremely wide shoulders. NOTE: This is my hand on the front edge of the panel without a rider in the saddle.
YES... This is a system that canfit a wide variety of back shapes and allow you to go freely from horse to horse with little to no additional adjusting by you, the customer.
With this system on the increasable inserts, there is more than enough room for even the most distinctive, widest withers under these saddles. Click Here for photo's of the fit on a high withered horse.
The panels- by Dupont is made from Delrin are very flexible. This synthetic material is both heat and cold resistant and extremely sturdy.
Below is the panel shown under it's own weight. This
DELRIN panel will not fatigue and collapse.
Above is the panel shown with out an encasement and with the encasement. The encasement is used on all saddles that do not have a traditional western skirt. This encasement is tough it is the same material used as over the road truck tarps (The panels that we produce are beefy and built to last. Each panel with the mounting hardware weights 2 pounds each! So a pair of panels is 4 lbs., which actually weigh as much as the saddle tree it self.) Below is a close up of the stainless steel slide plate and the nickel/aluminum rivets that are used. Also the back side of a panel that is not encased. Under this foam layer is another layer called the backer layer that keeps the washers in place and working. It also keeps the hardware counter sunk so that absolutely no pressure spots will ever appear nor will the bolt that holds the panel into the insert ever fall free from the panel.
THE EVOLUTIONARY BACKER LAYERS
The slit in the backer layer is how the panel is put on to the EVOLUTIONARY saddle. The under side that is against the DELRIN, is of two layers making sure that the hardware is counter sunk so no way can any hardware hit the horses back or come though.
REMEMBER: NOT all panels are created equal, NOT all saddles are the same. USE common sense and ask yourself... just how do other companies make and assemble their saddles
This panel with the Stainless Steel Slide plate- is produced on an ultramodern water jet CNC (computer number controlled) cutter.
Below are the photo's of water jet cutter in action. Both the panels and the backer layers are cut to perfection with this machine.
With the panel now perfected, the mounting insert or how it is connected to the saddle tree is critical in the articulation of the panel. The insert design of the System X operates as a true ball and socket or ball bearing. This combined with the specially designed radius of the washer delivers pure fluidly of motion to the panel so that it can conform to the different widths of the horse. The panel thus independently produces the classic fit parameters like gullet width, flair, twist, rocker, etc. The flexibility of the material also helps it to further nestle against every curve.
In the front area,1 the panel is built in the form of slats. This permits an extra soft shoulder rotation. The slats extend as far as the withers area,2 so horses with extremely wide withers never feel too much pressure on this area.
The second layer of the panel3 overlaps with the slats from the first layer. This permits a transfer of the forces to the subsequent layer and also a simultaneous distribution to the center of the panel.
The remaining course4 of the panel construction guarantees an optimal distribution over the entire surface. The distribution thus takes place in several "stages." In this way, we for example prevent leverage on the panel from causing excess pressure on the opposite side for horses with very wide shoulder areas. This gives us an even fluid distribution of forces. Through the choice of different material strengths for each layer, we also avoid the possibility of partially appearing pressure points.
Also developed is a particular design for each layer in the rear area5 as well. This special shape guarantees an optimal weight distribution over the entire panel – even in the middle.
The Saddle Trees
Just because we have a great panel and mounting system does not assure that it will perform correctly on your horse or mule. We took great pride to find a saddle tree maker who would custom make each of our saddletrees to our panels specifications. Remember that a traditional rigid saddle tree is designed to offer the rider support while distributing the riders weight evenly over the horses back. However, in our case, the Evolutionary Saddles' ä tree is designed to offer the rider support and then is especially designed - not for the horses back, but for the System X panel. It is this panel that will bend and flex enabling the saddle to distribute the riders weight evenly over a moving horse's back. Having a saddle tree too thick, too straight and too narrow - not to mention crooked, will not allow the System X to perform properly. Having a tree too wide, too heavy, and weak also raises havoc with the rider and life time performance of the saddle.
The saddle trees are designed for the panel - not the horse! The panels are not designed for the saddle tree - as so many are. This panel is designed so that it will fit the horse and it is the tree that must be designed fit the panel.
Below are two examples of trees from another manufacture - look how inconsistent the trees are! To thick and the panel will not perform, too thin and you don't have a saddle tree that will last.
too thick and too thin is not good
After a very diligent search for perfection we were led to The Precision Saddle Tree Company.
modern technology not previously employed by the saddle tree industry,
Precision Saddle Tree Manufacturing is able to deliver quality and uniform
trees. They use only the best material. Tradition is disregarded when these
superior, modern materials are available. Precisely engineered designs and
hands-on production ensure quality saddle trees that last a lifetime.
The saddle trees are made with Ponderosa Pine followed by a fiber glass strainer or ground seat and then two different type tree coverings are applied. The first covering consists of hand-laid fiberglass that is wrapped on the horn, swell, bars and cantle and topped with a clear coat resin. The second covering is made using a product called DURAhide™, which is sprayed over the fiberglass.
What is Fiberglass? Fiberglass is a woven cloth that provides great strength and durability when layered with a resin to form a hardened composite. This cloth is applied by hand and has greater tensile strength than steel wire of the same diameter, at a lower weight.
What is DURAhide™? DURAhide™ is a polyurea elastomer that is specifically formulated as a high performance coating designed to prevent damage from moisture, corrosion, abrasion, weather and wear. This material is not only an effective sealer, but adds strength to your tree. DURAhide™ carries a tensile strength of 2300-2500 lbs psi @ 75F. DURAhide™) withstands temperatures from minus 50 to plus 350 degrees Fahrenheit
In conclusion, Precision Saddle Tree Company is a stable company who is able to offer the best saddletree in today’s industry and that carries a lifetime warrantee. (Upper right tree has encased panels on and rigging)
Mutton withers? A frame withers? A flat rear back or an angled rear back?
The System X fits them all.
A soft shoulder? A deformed shoulder? Or how about a knobby one? It does not matter the System X fits them all.
A sway back? A flat top line? How about an angled shoulder with a flat rear back - the twist? System X fits them all.
How about that tree? Narrow thin, strong bars with faired
ends allow free movement of the System X panels that give the rider close
A customer brought these templates in to make sure our saddles would fit. THEY SURE DO!
THERMOGRAPH TESTING? YES WE ENCOURAGE THIS! Our saddles pass with flying colors. With the adjustable rigging, when you change horses, you can adjust your rigging so that the saddle will fit accordingly.
Notice how the heat is at the spine, where no saddle or pad is touching? The back is hot and sweating there. The merino wool saddle sox really keeps the back cool and the panels distribute the riders weight, whilst the horse is in motion!! These saddles ROCK!
Variable Girth system: Naturally these saddles will have the dropped cross-center fire ring rigging, eliminating bulk under your thigh and allowing you to adjust your girth placement up to six inches in either direction. We also are proud to introduce our new Slide n’ Lock rigging. This rigging is twice the strength, weighs a pound less and is the easiest to use. It also allows you to moderately adjust your rigging to your girth and pad length. Saving the expense of purchasing multiple cinches. With either rigging you can have Full, 7/8th, 3/4, centered and anywhere in-between. You have it all plus some, with this rigging. All forthcoming saddles will have the new, Slide and Lock rigging.
(Over 6,000 lbs., test strength on each nylon strap!)
With any of the riggings shown, combined with our no-strain knee fenders on western saddles and the comfort flaps on English. One can ride all day in the saddle, get off and feel just as good as they did when they mounted up.
Newly added to the nylon rigging we have a cosmetic leather rigging flap. This flap adds 12 oz to the total weight of the saddle.
Production Details: Distance, leisure and western saddles all have a tab "girth keepers" on the saddles for attaching your girth when your saddle is not in use. On the English and Endurance saddle models that have English rigging will come standard with the girth and stirrup strap that you can hook-up your stirrups so your shins will not get banged when carrying your saddle. With your saddle you can choose (If available for your particular model) between the comfortable standard seat containing 1/2 inch of neoprene or select the soft-seat. The soft-seat is comprised of two materials, first is the 1/4 inch of neoprene padding followed by 3/4 inch of thick foam that is ergonomically sculpted for the riders butt. This special high density (HR #26) foam, not only has best spring-back, but the longest life expectancy (20 years plus) in the industry. There are some points to consider when deciding to select this option-with the Soft Seat. First, you will lose some of the room that the saddle has to offer for your rear-end - so if you are between sizes use this to help gauge your seat size. Secondly when you select the Soft Seat, you will lose a bit of the "pocket" to sit down in, (since the extra padding is now there for your rear-end and /or your bone-y butt bones). Lastly, with the Soft Seat, the saddle will have a bit of a narrower twist. The twist is the part that is between your thighs (your crotch area). Therefore, if you like a narrower twist, have a bony butt or need a smaller seat size, adding the extra padding of the Soft Seat is key.
Stitching and Edging: We strive to make every detail as perfect as the next. We use twist thread #207 with # 24 matching needle and never less than 6 stitches per inch. We then make sure every piece of leather is edged, burnished, died and waxed. Quality is just that. QUALITY.
Just how are those panels put on? To mount the panel, whether it is encased in a leather skirt with fleece on the bottom side or in the vinyl zippered encasement, You will see a small hole or slit in the under side of the panel. This is where an Allen tool is used to enter the panel to reach the bolt for the panel's attachment to the specialized mount that has been drilled into saddle tree. This bolt is counter sunk and enclosed in the panel among the various layers of backer foam.
Extraordinary Performance at an affordable price.
Questions from the field
1. Is the System X Evolutionary saddle ä a synthetic, flexible saddle? No the Evolutionary System X is a high quality, all leather saddle with a solid wood tree, which is guaranteed for 10 years. This system is sometimes confused with treeless, sport or other flexible saddles because the name indicates a flexible panel system. But this saddle is NOT a treeless saddle or a flexible tree saddle.
2. Is the System X saddle just a "knock - off" of other flex panel saddles? No, it is not a knock-off. This is an entirely new system and is not anything like the other flexible Delrin panel saddles. True, this new system design is based on an older original idea and true, this system uses Delrin in the building process, but the way the Delrin is cut, shaped, layered and assembled using advanced technology puts this panel in a class of it’s own. To get into this classification, stainless steel/nickel rivets are used to hold the various layers of Delrin together thus creating the unique progressive loading for weight distribution. Both the backing and the padding layers are cut to match all of the finger cuts in the Delrin panel – allowing for complete panel performance. The slide plate, as well as the washer are of stainless steel eliminating any rusting issues in the future, with the insert of steel allowing it to rust ever so perfectly securing a strong hold within the saddle tree. This combination of materials attached to a specifically designed saddle tree for the best panel function, is what makes this system so easy to use and maintain and, in fact, makes it so different it is in a class of its own.
3. What is Delrin and how does this make this saddle different? Early in 1950 research director and chemist Frank C McGrew developed a tough and heat resistant material he called "synthetic stone." During the years of development, which involved a patent dispute, DuPont patented Delrin® in 1956. Delrin® (Polyoxymethylene) is an acetal homopolymer resin that is a durable lightweight crystalline plastic, which uses a breakthrough in stabilization technology. It has an excellent balance of desirable properties that bridge the gap between metals and ordinary plastics. This Delrin not only has memory (which allows it to return to it’s natural shape), but also has a unique combination of strength, stiffness, tensile strength, hardness, dimensional stability, toughness, fatigue resistance, solvent and fuel resistance, abrasion resistance, low wear, low friction, creep resistance under a wide range of temperature and humidity conditions, with high fatigue endurance, corrosion resistance and mechanical resilience. Due to these outstanding characteristics Delrin is popular for its versatility within a broad use of industry applications, such as automotive, aerospace, electrical and medical applications. At our manufacturing facility, this product is cut, assembled and mounted to a saddle tree of very specific proportions to allow maximum performance of this incredible System X panel. In western models of Evolutionary Saddles ä , the flat panel is sandwiched inside the skirts of the saddle. These skirts are mounted so that they spread the rider’s weight over a large area and flex to fit either a horse or mule, whether the animal has a very wide round back or a narrow skinny back. You can actually see the skirts flex as you ride. These skirts do not look different from traditional western skirts. With over 20 years of feed back from earlier systems of panels and saddle designs, they have proven to a horse so much more comfortable. In many cases horses quit displaying behaviors caused by pain from rigid tree saddles, and now perform better than with a traditional saddle that inhibited movement. The very same panels are on the English and Endurance saddles mounted beneath the rigid saddle tree. The difference is these panels are encased in a zippered pouch, which actually gives the panel a softer more flexible feel since there is no added leather skirt.
4. The Evolutionary Saddles ä System X is designed to make the horse move more freely, but what about the rider? The way the trees are constructed in the Evolutionary Saddles gives the rider a narrower seat which helps prevent hip and knee pain, while also providing a close feel to the horse. The bars of this saddle are very thin allowing the rider’s thighs to get closer to the mule or horse. The trees are thin and functional when made to our specifications, being solid wood reinforced with layers of hand-layered fiberglass cloth then coated with expensive epoxy resin. This allows the trees to be made thin and much lighter in weight than traditional trees without compromising the strength needed even when used for heavy roping. This is why these saddle trees can carry a 10-year warranty. Because the saddle trees are anatomically designed to the rider’s seat they require minimal padding; but if desired, they are available with nearly two inches of extra padding stitched to a correct pattern for incredible comfort during long hours on the trail. The unique way of mounting the rigging removes bulk from under the rider’s leg, which again, keeps knees from becoming strained and hurting. The stirrup leathers are generally narrower than found on traditional saddles and are mounted on the tree in such a way as to allow them to twist and move easily, which also prevents knee, hip and ankle strain. Our saddle models that use traditional one-inch leathers are designed so these leathers can be positioned forward, center and rear to give the rider additional leg positions – a feature not found on other saddles. All of our saddles come with stirrups that have a special pad that absorbs concussion and reduces aching feet. All of these features, plus the spring panels that absorb concussion provide much greater comfort for the rider – as confirmed by 20+ years of feedback. Many people who have arthritis in the back, hips and knees say they can ride much farther and longer in these saddles than in traditional saddles. Heavy weight riders see benefits in all areas due to expanded weight bearing surface area on the horses back, as the panels are sized in proportion to the seat of the saddle, thus providing for a comfortable transfer of rider weight to the horse’s back. This shock absorption is the icing on the cake for the horse and we all are pleasantly surprised that this jarring concussion to the rider is reduced as well.
5. Why is an Evolutionary Saddle ä worth purchasing? As consumers ourselves, we have purchased equipment from manufacturers, suppliers and saddle builders who make products for horses but do not OWN, RIDE or even FIT horses or mules – oftentimes with poor results. We find the people we can rely on to deliver good products are the ones who have worked hard and take pride in providing equipment made or designed by people who own, fit and RIDE the equine. Now, at last, we have the opportunity to take complete charge of making these incredible saddles from start to finish. We are directly involved in every step of production and produce the best product built to OUR (and in particular, Cathy Tauer’s) specifications. You can be assured when purchasing our saddles and tack, that you are purchasing from horse people who are just like you. All of those who are directly involved with providing the HVF brand of products, have raised the bar for other manufactures to follow.
Please report website glitches E-Mail
RETURN TO INDEX
Copyright Inc. All rights reserved. No part of
this web site may be copied, republished, excerpted or transferred to other
media without the express written consent of Tauer Manufacturing LLC. For
information, contact at 1- 866-723-5937
Web Master - Cathy Sheets Tauer